- This event has passed.
#FBWDC Kickoff! – National Freelance Business Week!
April 18, 2022 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm$25
About this event
Join us in celebrating National Freelance Business Week. Our inaugural event in the DMV begins with the #FBWDC Kickoff! Following a welcome and remarks from Dr. Unique Morris-Hughes, Director of the Department of Employment Services in Mayor Muriel Bowser’s Administration. In her role as State Labor Commissioner, Dr. Morris-Hughes is directly responsible for more than $150M in local, federal and specific-purpose funds administered by the District of Columbia and the federal government for workforce development programs and training, unemployment compensation, universal paid leave administration and labor standards enforcement along with more than $80M in active capital projects.
Following a welcome and remarks by Dr. Morris-Hughes, a panel of local experts will discuss the state of freelancing and independent work, the different pathways to getting there and what the future of work will look like.
- Janet Baptiste, Vice President/Branch Director at Robert Half
- Mclean Robbins, Vice President, Enterprise Marketing, MBO Partners
- Connie Steele, Author of “Building the Business of You” and Future of Work and Life expert
Moderator: Dr. Tony D. Johnson, President and CEO at Captivate Perspectives
- 11:00 – 11:15 am: Welcome and Remarks
- 11:15 am – 12:00 pm: Panel
- 12:00 – 1:00 pm: Lunch
- 1:00 – 3:00 pm: Open House
Note that the calendar invite will block your time from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm only but the Open House is included.
You’ll come away with:
- An understanding of the state of freelancing in the DMV, where it’s headed and how it might impact you.
- Connections with other DMV freelancers
- Feeling part of a community
- A professional headshot!*
*We’re not taking reservations for these, so it will be first come, first served.
Refund Policy: Contact the organizer (Brand Wagon Digital) to request a refund. Eventbrite’s fee is nonrefundable.